Sunday, March 15, 2009

first full day in rome


Today went pretty well. I ate my free breakfast, took a cab to the HRC. The staff was friendly and helpful, things went smoothly, and we accomplished what I wanted to. I took a few hrs to do some work, and eventually headed out to see a tiny bit more of Rome.

I walked a few blocks to the Parthenon, which is huge, and pretty interesting. I read that it is more or less the most well-preserved building of its age in the world. I believe it. It is totally surrounded by the city, but it stands out. Its incredibly unique looking. The interior is amazing as well. I will post pictures soon, but if you don't know what I"m talking about, google it.

I then decided that I needed to do laundry desperately, so I attempted to find a laundromat. It was no easy task. Just getting someone to understand what I was looking for was hard enough. I walked for what seemed like hrs but finally found it on a very shady looking street. If I do 2 loads it will cost me about 28 euro! Ridiculous. Its about $10 just to wash and dry one load. Amazing.

I walked down to the Colosseum again for hopefully a good night shot. It didn't go as well as I had planned, but hey, you can't get lucky every time.

I then had my last dinner in Italy for a while. Since I hadn't paid for food yet today, I splurged a little bit and got baked Sole in bread crumbs with butter and lemon, and roasted potatoes. It was quite good.

Once I do my laundry tomorrow, I will check out of my hotel at noon and head over to the airport, where I will sit for many hrs, and then fly on Air Malta to Malta. I am not sure what to expect of this tiny mediterranean island. I hope things go smoothly though, as we have 10 items of memorabilia to shoot, and no extra days! So I hope they are prepared.

Also I am very tired. I am walking an average of about 15,000 steps per day.

-John




2 comments:

Jillian said...

That dinner sounds delicious! Glad you're still having a good time. I don't know what to expect of Malta either. Can't wait to hear about it!

Unknown said...

I can't decide if I actually hate you or if it's just jealousy.