Friday, March 13, 2009

Day 3


Today was the day they were supposed to be ready to go, so I headed over early after breakfast. They were in the same basic state of chaos as the day before.

So, I did some of the areas that were available, and decided to work on the memorabilia for the rest of the time. It proved to be difficult and frustrating. Much of it was very close to walls, which means I can't get a light stand and umbrella in between the wall and the memo. That leaves me with few options. I can try to use something to reflect light onto the subject, or bounce light off the ceiling or another wall onto the subject. But, because the memo is encased in a large plastic/glass case, any light source that flashes in front of it will be reflected off its surface. Needless to say, it took me all day to achieve results I wasn't even that satisfied with.

I did a night exterior, which should be halfway decent, but not perfect, because the area is extremely high traffic. After I had done this, there was still a small amount of light in the sky, and I decided to see if I could get anything interesting. I hit San Marco piazza, and then ran to the Rialto Bridge.

It was worth the effort. This is what being a photographer is ALL about people. Its not having the most expensive camera or the fanciest lenses, its about being in the right place at the right time, and knowing how to take advantage of it.
the composition on the above photo is awful, but I didn't have time to fix it. Plus I just liked the lights and the colors. I may re-do this tonight.

I will post more pictures as I can edit them, but the bulk of the photos won't be touched until I get home. I simply have far too many to even try to edit.





I am leaving extremely early (3:30am) tomorrow for the airport, so final thoughts on Venice:

Even though it is one of the most touristy places I have ever been to, everything is unique and interesting. In my opinion, there is almost no way you can miss out on the excitement and ambiance that is Venice (unless you go to Burger King or something). Every restaurant is run by Italians (well most of them), and every restaurant is actually in Venice, making it inherently interesting. The draw for me is the experience. Not necessarily seeing as many churches as possible in 24 hrs, or eating at the worlds best small out of the way pizza shop. I enjoyed seeing how life was lived in Venice. The city is entirely pedestrian or boat. All supplies and goods are brought into the city by small boats, and carted around by men with hand trucks and carts. The city runs on physical labor, much the way it probably did a thousand years ago. The lack of any kind of cars is also very refreshing. At night it gets very quiet, and the piazzas echo with your footsteps. It is almost reverent, especially in a courtyard with a church. People walk in small groups and speak in hushed tones as they make their way through narrow passageways lit by small lamps in restaurant windows. As I mentioned to someone, it feels almost "fake" somehow, yet it isn't, and that is why it is so unique. You can't find this kind of place anywhere else in the world. I have enjoyed wandering this city for the past few days.

I make my way to Rome tomorrow.

John

3 comments:

Unknown said...

these pictures make me want to go to venice a lot.

Jillian said...

See... you DO care about the people and their culture. :) You just like to make me mad. But yes... you summed up Venice really well. I'm glad you enjoyed it even if the HRC was a mess.

Also.. LOVE the picture of the canal (haha, how's that for descriptive?) with the orange buildings on the far left side.

Jameson Rehm said...

Nice pictures! Hopefully things go a bit smoother for you in Rome...are you comfortable bein a world traveler yet?