Sunday, March 8, 2009

Day 2 of Cologne

EDIT: I added a bunch of new pictures, but for some reason its cutting them off, so click on the picture to see the full image.

I Spent the morning working at the HRC. The people there are great, just like Bucharest, for which I am very thankful. With 2 good shoots so far, I don't know how much longer this will last, but I hope the rest are half this helpful.

Spent a lot of time talking with one of the girls I was working with about life in europe, politics, america, germany, history, culture, etc. It was encouraging to hear more positive things about the US and Americans, as well as the state of the minds in Europe. Sometimes I think that America is the only sane nation left, but its good to hear that many of the people I have met are just as rational as we are, and want most of the same things we do. And the differences in our cultures are what makes the world an interesting place.

On my way back to the hotel I stopped at a small restaurant called Pfaffen Brauerei to get some lunch and get out of the rain. I had a meal that included sausage, and some kind of potatoes with fried onions I think..either way it was delicious.

I decided to take a guided tour bus around the city for 10 euro. It lasted about 1.5 hrs and was a good way to see a lot of the city and get some history at the same time. I took a lot of pictures, some of which I will post if I can, but most of which I will try to put online somewhere else. Cologne is a very interesting city with a unique history and place in Germany. The old city, which is where I am staying and visiting, is my favorite part of the city. I am having a blast walking all over and exploring.

here is the Cologne Cathedral
another church near my hotel
inside of the cathedral
candles in the church
a famous square near the HRC
more of the inside of the cathedral
more of the inside of the church
looking up at the front of the cathedral
a famous building designed by architect Renzo Piano
the outside of my hotel
the inside of the hotel

I went to another bridge over the Rhein to get some more photos from another perspective of the Cologne Cathedral and some other churches along the western side of the river. Here is one that I shot tonight:
On the way back to the hotel I stopped at another restaurant called Rheinland Koln, and had a meal of blood sausage, mashed potatoes with onions, and homemade apple sauce. Naturally, it was outstanding.

I have come to the conclusion that it is impossible to get a bad meal here. I am enjoying Germany a lot so far. It has friendly people, beautiful scenery and architecture, tons of history, shopping for the wife, and amazing food. It is a country that I would have no problem visiting again sometime.

I will attempt to post more pictures of my travels around Cologne, but I am finding I have less and less time to edit photos. I will try to put some more up tomorrow.

John

6 comments:

Jillian said...

Blood sausage? What in the world is that?

Jillian said...

Eww. I just read about it. =X

John Hudson Photography said...

It was good though

Jillian said...

Mm-hmm. Sure...

Venice tomorrow!!!!!!

Jameson Rehm said...

Good call on not eating Mcdonalds everywhere, glad to hear Germany's amazing...enjoy Venice!

Kate Avery Ellison said...

i'm glad you're liking the food... i didn't care for most of what i had in germany, except the strudel. its amazing.