Tuesday, September 8, 2009

I am sitting in the Vienna airport on Tuesday morning.

I will pick up when I entered Hurghada.

I began to lose my patience with Egypt when I arrived in Hurghada. After I got my bags, I looked around for an ATM like I usually do, to get cash for a taxi. Finding no ATM, I walked out what I thought was the exit into the main terminal, only to find that it basically dumped me out into what was a construction site/parking lot...apparently the entire airport is under some kind of "renovations". So, I tried to go back inside, but once you leave an airport here, they just will not let you back in, even though you JUST came through the door.

They told me if I wanted an ATM or a "bank", I had to go into the departures terminal. The problem is, in Egypt, only people with physical tickets can go into the terminal, or basically into the airport at all. The security people just could not figure out why I wanted into the airport, and the fact that I had just arrived here seemed to do nothing.

It is times like these where I just feel like America stands out from the crowd, at least from a logical and reasonablity standpoint. There was NO atm available to arriving passengers from what I could see, clearly a huge flaw with this airport. But no, I could not get back into the airport to get money. Simply amazing.

I ended up having a taxi driver just drive me to an ATM where I got cash, and then went onto the hotel. Just getting this to happen took plenty of gesturing, and arguing, and negotiating on price. I have found that it is really impossible to get a fair cab ride in this country unless you have another native speaker there who will just tell them what price you are willing to pay. They really prey on people coming out of the airport terminal.

Things improved once I got to the Marriott Resort in Hurghada.

I liked this resort even more, probably because it seemed much less crowded, and a little more private. I have been going to bed earlier than usual just to get more sleep.

Again, a nice, relaxing breakfast the next day, and then a very quick cheap cab ride to the HRC. The staff at the HRC was fantastic, very prepared and very friendly. They basically just got out of the way and let me do my thing, and it went very smoothly.

Again, I did some looking into scuba diving/snorkling, but in the end decided it wasn't really worth it. I just can't justify spending close to $100 for maybe a half hr of scuba diving. I'll get more for my money in mexico or on a cruise.

I did try to take advantage of the great weather here though. I spent a decent amount of time swimming in the Red Sead close to the beach of the resort. I suspected, and later check of wikipedia confirmed it, that the saline content of the Red Sea is very high. I realized this when swimming...it took literally no effort to float or swim. You could literally just float in the middle of the ocean, without trying to tread water. It was a strange feeling, but it made swimming very easy. I swam all around this small island next to the beach, and didn't get tired at all. I borrowed a diving mask and did some minor snorkeling, which was kind of fun and made up for not doing the real thing. The water in the red sea was refreshingly cooler than the pool at Sharm had been, and the pool at Hurghada was much colder toot thankfully.

That's basically how I spent my time in Hurghada. The next day shoot went well again. And I spent more time swimming in the ocean and the pool. I got slightly sunburned, but it was worth it.

I got maybe an hr of sleep before leaving about 11pm for the airport in Hurghada.

Once again, I must make note of the absolutely incredible amount of security in Hurghada, and all of Egypt. I think I went through no less than 4, maybe 5 metal detectors on the way to my gate. One initally when entering the airport, which also requires a check of the passport, and the PHYSICAL TICKET to the dozens of security officers. Even then I felt lucky that I got through somehow. Then again, going through customs ON THE WAY OUT OF THE COUNTRY! Amazing. More metal detectors, more x ray machines. This country is either very worried about security, or they just enjoy employing a lot of random people to stand around. I swear, there were probably 4 or 5 guards doing the job of one guard everywhere you look. About 5 guys simply standing at the entrance to the airport where passports are scanned. The funny thing, is that they don't make you feel safer. I feel as though if I get to leave the airport, they'll be doing me some kind of favor. Like I'll be lucky they let me through. It's amazing the parody between the airport and it's treatment of people, and a resort and it's treatment.

I have found that international airports tend to have awful customer service, very rude and confusing employees, etc. The internatinal hotels are the exact opposite, and so much better than their US counterparts in all respects that it borders on laughable. I am treated like royalty in every hotel, no matter how prestigious or small. You have to experience it to know what I'm talking about. Porters running to take your bags, hauling over 100lbs worth of luggage all over the hotel. The room service employees are extremely gracious. The front desk staff is incredibly polite. It's a pleasure to stay in most hotels internationally, whereas in my experience, the travel through the airports is a huge pain and a hassle. And whereas in the US, you at least get the idea that there is some kind of a point to all this, that they are actually trying to make sure that they prevent crime or terrorism, in other airports around the world, the security gives me the impression that their sole goal and aim is to infuriate passengers. I feel that I have done a fair amoudnt of traveling, and asking to see my "ticket" before I have checked in is maddening. Dear Egypt, the rest of the world is on E-tickets now. WE DON"T GET PHYSICAL TICKETS THANKS.

Anyway, I'm loving the free wifi here at VIE. My short flight to Venice leaves soon, and will have to take quite a nap when I get there. Maybe I"ll take some pictures on Venice?


I have been posting a lot of random pictures to facebook with my iphone, you can see them here

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2063615&id=141300035&l=c1ac1fdc9f

3 comments:

Jameson Rehm said...

Well now you're back in the home that is Europe, have fun in Venice and Prague! Should be a much better time that the Middle East, at least airport-wise :)

Unknown said...

lol you're funny. I like your rants. I wish I could float in the Red Sea; I'm not very good at floating...

Jillian said...

Ciao! Hope you're eating lots of Italiano food and enjoying the Venetian scenery for me. DEFINITELY take pictures. One can never have enough pictures of that place...